Module 7: Personal Analysis and Philosophy

Home | UCI Department of Philosophy

When I am casually asked what my adult education philosophy is, I typically respond by saying, “The class is not the thing.” It is a concise, albeit a little cheeky, but it truthfully encapsulates my approach to instruction. My lodestar is what happens outside of the classroom for my students. Prior to coming to class, I ask them what issues they are currently facing in their work environment that they want assistance with. During the class, I give them ample time to practice the skills that are being discussed in a safe setting. After they leave class, I follow-up with them to see how they have applied the learning and if it has helped. My focus is constantly on making what happens in the classroom relevant, practical, and applicable to the real-life needs of my students. Absent of those elements, even the most well-designed curriculum is pointless for all involved.  

One of the foundational pieces of my adult education philosophy, and why refrain from calling it my teaching philosophy, is that I am a facilitator, not a teacher. My role is not to transmit information. In a classroom full of adults, the knowledge needed to have a meaningful learning experience is held within each of them and it is my role to ask them insightful questions they may not have ever considered. My role is to engage them in interactive, collaborative tasks and foster learning from one another. My role is to create a laboratory environment where they can simulate real-life situations and try out new approaches in navigating them. I have no interest in being a teacher. I find being a facilitator to be much more rewarding.  I am merely releasing the subject matter expertise and wisdom of the room. This dynamic also allows me to constantly learn and develop myself and alleviates any pressure or pretense about being the expert in the room.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Module 6: Military Education & Religious Education & Correctional Education

Module 3: Module 3: Higher Education & Distance Education